Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Wild Thing.

This space has been quiet for a month.
We're transitioning.

I'm not quite ready to post pics of the new house yet-- it's a work in progress.
Rob & I are doing just fine-- co-parenting peacefully & even working on our friendship.
The boys are struggling with the change (L in particular) but we're doing the best we can.
I'm staying very busy.

Single mama-hood is no joke, dude.
But I know we're going to hit our stride soon-- we have to.

So here we are, seven weeks away from Liam turning THREE.
(I know, I can't believe it either.)
Time to get going on birthday party planning-- I'm behind!

This year's theme:


Super excited to do another classic book theme-- We had such a great time with The Very Hungry Caterpillar last year.

So, as I've been poking around Pinterest deciding on decorations, I saw these cookies and I knew I had to try them. (Her entire party is stunning-- it's definitely the main inspiration for my party!) I'm no expert on decorating with royal icing, and I've never worked with fondant before, so I thought that it would be best to give these cookies a try long before the actual party. This weekend, I was in serious need of some craft time, so I decided to give them a shot.


 



I'm so happy with them!

They're not perfect, but they're monsters-- they don't have to be. I used store-bought sugar cookies for my test to save time-- for the party, I'll make my own & make them slightly larger so that the features aren't so crowded. Also, I'll start early-- the royal icing base needs a day to dry, the fondant features need a day to dry, and the fur needs a day to dry. I was rushing through these in less than 24 hours because I knew if I didn't finish them before Liam came home from Rob's, they weren't going to get done.

While this year's party needs to be scaled back from last year (single mama budget), I have lots of plans for personalized touches that I can do myself, without breaking the bank. I'm also looking forward to having the party at home-- it will be nice to set things up the night before, so that I'm not in a rush the morning of the party.

Can't wait to celebrate my Wild Thing!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Those cookies look amazing! I can't wait to see what the party looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO CUTE- I love everything your talented self comes up with! And 7 weeks until our boys are THREE? Aaaa- I just can't believe it!

    Glad to hear things are going well- I've been thinking about you a lot and wondering how it was going. I know this summer has been very difficult on your whole family.

    Hugs to you and your sweet boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO CUTE- I love everything your talented self comes up with! And 7 weeks until our boys are THREE? Aaaa- I just can't believe it!

    Glad to hear things are going well- I've been thinking about you a lot and wondering how it was going. I know this summer has been very difficult on your whole family.

    Hugs to you and your sweet boys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stef, these are AMAZING! I am always blown away at what you accomplish for your boys. And speaking of--I have some top secret paper projects I wanted to discuss with you. Add a little money to the account!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly when I saw these on IG I thought they were from one of the many many pro cookie ladies I follow! When I looked and saw you made them yourself I was beyond impressed! You're talents are vast and many girlfriend! Seriously you are ROCKING this single mama thing! I have every bit of confidence this party is going to be amaze!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right....being a single mom is no joke. But you'll do just fine. Be thankful for Rob still being in the boys' lives, and accept offers of help. Don't let your pride get the best of you, like it has me so many times. If you need to talk...

    ReplyDelete