Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Camp Out! Liam's 4th Birthday

It's been nearly a year since the last time I blogged-- the silence has not been intentional, rather, the natural consequence of what happens when a married mama with a part time job becomes a single, full time working mom with two jobs. So much to say, but not enough hours in the day. Eventually, I'll get around to writing a post that recaps our year, but for today, we have a little man's birthday to celebrate!

Liam is 4!!!!
 
 I had a hard time committing to a theme this year... first he requested a firetruck party just like Jack's party last year. We thought about a construction theme. Then, I got my heart set on a camping party.

I saw an invite that I fell in love with on Pinterest and recreated it myself, making a few small changes:


 Then took elements from a lot of different parties that I loved and put them together.


Liam was SUPER excited about helping make the flames for his cake (crushed/melted Lifesavers):


And he loved making his own Trail Mix:



We had tree cookies and compass cookies--
Me: "Liam, do you know what a compass is?"
L: "They're how you find your way home to your mommy."





And favor boxes with compasses, flashlights, personalized canteens and s'mores kits:



Even more s'mores to snack on:


Little Campers:


Blowing out his candles:


And my favorite part-- the outdoor movie. I borrowed a projector from work and we watched Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown (the one where he goes to camp) while the kids ate hot dogs in their tents.




This is the moment I never want to forget:


Happy Birthday, sweet boy.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sources:
Invitations/Signs/Labels/T-shirts: Me
Lanterns/White frames: IKEA
Trees/Favor Boxes/ Burlap/ Buckets/Scrapbook Paper for Letters: Hobby Lobby
Canteens/Camping Signs/Flashlights/Compasses: Oriental Trading
Push Pops/Stand: Ebay
Tents: Burlap from Hobby Lobby, Wood from Lowe's
Fake Campfire/Lantern String Lights: Amazon
Table Cloth: Riley Blake Wood Grain fabric

7 comments:

  1. I was just thinking of you and wondering how you are. Still putting on insane birthday parties I see. Really impressive. You have two very lucky boys. ;)

    (PS I'm blogging under a new name these days... This is Esperanza. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!! Email me if you want to catch up! I would love to chat. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad to see you posting! You are really amazing. I am beyond impressed. With all you have going on, how did you pull this amazing party off? The details are unreal! I loved it all!
    Two questions - what is the compass part of the cookie? And what did you have them do with the s'mores pops? Did they eat from the pop or need to heat somewhere?
    OMG I love this party! You should enter this somewhere - it would totally win!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I worked on a little bit at a time for a few months until Fri & Sat which were crunch time! :)

      The cookies-- the orange and gray parts are fondant. The letters were stamped in with a "Message in a Cookie" set I got at Williams Sonoma last year, and the needle was drawn on with a food pen.

      The pops-- the kids just ate them as is. I thought about using a fire pit so we could roast the marshmallows, but our guest list included 5 kids under 4 and it seemed like a bad idea. (I used a fire in cauldron Halloween decoration, surrounded by real logs as a fake camp fire.) My original plan was to use marshmallow cream in the pops, but I forgot it when I did my shopping, so I just cut up larger marshmallows into small pieces. :)

      Delete
  3. Glad to see you back :-) and what a seriously cute party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the details of all your parties. This is amazing.

    ReplyDelete